Saturday, January 01, 2005

A Confession

I hate stuff, I really do. Maybe it's a personality flaw, I don't know, but I can't deal with piles of useless garbage. If I had it my way, I would get rid of all of my belongings except the things I use and enjoy often and move into a small loft apartment somewhere. A place that gave no opportunity for collecting anything. I don't like to keep much out on counters, or in corners or baskets or closets. I have no use for old mail, newspapers, magazines, checkbooks, receipts (unless necessary), or clothing tags. My philosophy is that "less is more" and the fewer things you have, the more you can enjoy the things you do have. I don't like to do projects that require me to store lots of materials. I don't even like to let dishes soak overnight, because that means they have to sit out in the kitchen. When I'm forced to soak a pan or something, I usually stick it in the oven so I don't have to look at it. Somehow, too much stuff disturbs my chi.

Unfortunately, my husband doesn't completely agree with all of my rationale. He likes things neat too, but he isn't against a pile here and there - or setting something aside that there is like a .000001% possibility that we might use one day. Therefore, marital strife can sometimes ensue over stuff. Take for example a piece of junk mail Rick received one day (remember it was junk mail). I stuck it in the trash can and when he arrived home he questioned why it had been tossed. Well, of course my reply was that I was only "storing" it there... Didn't go over too well. Most recently, Rick has been scowering the house for a catalog he wanted to order some things from. It was nowhere to be found, well not really, he finally did locate it when he went through some old bags of trash out by the road today. I don't care what he says, I didn't throw that thing away, it's not possible, I wouldn't have done that. Or would I? A resolution for the new year: to be more cautious of what I consider useless. Sorry, Rick.

Christie

posted by Anonymous
Home