Wednesday, March 30, 2005

music of my homeland

As embarassing as this is, I must admit that I do occassionally listen to country music. In fact, in high school, I really enjoyed Country Music and even frequented the Crystal River Country Jam - three days of every big name country music had to offer...

After repenting, and moving on to other music I have recently caught myself stopping on the country stations - mainly because in South Georgia, there really isn't anything else, but I fear part of me really does enjoy the music.

At any rate, I'm always amused - if not a little scared at the theology I find in the lyrics of today's most popular songs.

Take for example the song I ran into this morning:
Homewrecker - "Honey, I'm a Christian, but if you keep it up, I may just start kickin' your purty little butt"

Now, what does being a Christian have to do with kicking the other girls butt?

Or the now infamous - Jesus was a Country Boy
Since when did walkin' on dirt roads and bass fishing have anything to do with getting into heaven?

I don't know, maybe I'm missing it - but I think alot of people from the south are going to be surprised when they wake up one day and their "good" life and granddaddy's faith doesn't make the cut?
posted by Rick
Home