Monday, April 25, 2005

the dangers of the open road

I had a real scare driving home from Florida yesterday. I was headed down the road, minding my own business and out of nowhere, this lady comes flying out of the bushes on a bicycle. I don't know if she was trying to be Lance Armstrong, or what, but she had that Schwinn in overdrive. I guess she was practicing for the Tour de Highway 19. Anyway, the chick immediately realized that she was in trouble and began screaming, "Nooooooooooo!" I slammed on brakes and had to dive into the ditch to avoid creaming her. I've always been taught not to swerve for animals, but I figured people were a different matter. I'll take a dog head on, but homo sapiens, I'd rather not. As soon as the lady realized she was surely not going to perish, she began screaming, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" as she continued her race down the road. As for me, I was still in the ditch with a heart rate of at least 220. I don't know where that lady was going, but I hope when she got there she decided to retire from bicycle operation, effective immediately.
posted by Christie
Home