Thursday, August 18, 2005

expect the unexpected

Last night marked the second week that I've played guitar for worship on Wednesday night. And it's funny to me that you can practice and practice and practice and do well, yet get in front of people and become afflicted by alien hand and be unable to form even the most basic chords. I just don't get it. Well, despite that, neither week has been horrible and I've hit enough chords right to hopefully cover for the few that went awry. However, yesterdays session brought a new experience that is a first step among many of seasoning me as a player. We were singing The Wonderful Cross, a particularly easy song that I chose for that very reason. Yet, something happened that made playing it rather, un-easy, if you will. As I was striking the last chord before beginning the last half of what would be our last chorus, it happened. Out of nowhere, one of my strings broke. Immediately, I thought about having previously heard of guitar players who can compensate for a string breaking and continue playing, but just as quickly, I realized I wasn't one of them. So, I did the only thing I could think of and finished the song acapella. Really, it happened at the perfect spot and only a few people who were sitting on the front row even realized the song wasn't intended to end the way it did. So, here's to firsts. I'm definitely going to change my Martin Lights more often, so hopefully, there won't be any seconds.
posted by Christie
Home