Monday, August 08, 2005

what's old is new again

It's interesting that some of my favorite "new" songs, really aren't that new after all. I heard a great tune this summer for the first time, and after searching for it on the internet, found that it was a hymn written by a pastors daughter in the 1800s. History says that she was ill most of her life and was never able to marry or have children. However, she obviously grasped the wonder of a sovereign God who controlled everything in her life. Here are the lyrics.

I am not skilled to understand
What God has willed, what God has planned
I only know at His right hand
Stands One who is my Savior

I take Him at His word indeed
"Christ died for sinners," this I read
For in my heart I find a need
Of Him to be my Savior

That He should leave His place on high
And come for sinful man to die
You count it strange? So, once, did I
Before I knew my Savior

Yes, living, dying, let me bring
My strength, my solace, from this Spring
That He who lives to be my King
Once died to be my Savior!
posted by Christie
Home