Tuesday, September 20, 2005

the keys, please


I've never been one to care too much about what I drive. Sure, I've admired nice cars, but that's usually where it's ended. I've been scooting around in the same vehicle for the last 8 years and have remained fairly satisfied. My 97' Cavalier runs well and best of all, is paid for, so what more could I want? Well, I'm glad you asked.

A new Mustang.

I slid into one this weekend and could hardly breathe. It was a black convertible with red leather interior. I was in love. For the first time in my life, I was ready to make an absolutely senseless, frivolous, expensive puchase. As I sat at the helm of this beauty I thought about masters degrees, children, student loans, bills, mortgages - but I didn't care. Infact, I even justified how the vehicle could easily be turned into a family car. Simply put the top down, and I could certainly put babies and car seats and all manner of stuff in the back. I practiced right there in the show room and it seemed to work just fine. I saw the sticker price and was ready to sign on the dotted line.

But soon, reality struck. Although I could still see myself cruising down the road with my hair flapping in the wind - I think I was the only one with that vision. And despite the fact that Rick did offer to buy it for me, I somehow sensed his prayers that I would decline. So for now, I've resigned myself to being content with what I have, however non-Mustang-like it may be. But I guess I can always dream.
posted by Christie
Home