Monday, October 03, 2005

at least he's honest

Rick and I had the opportunity to spend some time one summer on the Shoshone-Bannock Indian Reservation in Fort Hall, Idaho. Not only was that our first experience with the west, it was our first experience with life on the "Rez," as the locals called it. We had fun learning about some of their traditions, culture and interesting quirks. We spent most of our days at a small church, helping with facility up-keep and Vacation Bible School.

Among many strange experiences that occurred while we where there, one that we re-visit often is the story about Harvey. Harvey was a buffalo rancher who lived in Pocatello, the closest decent sized town near Fort Hall, about 25 miles away. He went to the local, and only, Baptist church there and was recruited by his wife to help assist the church we were working at on the Reservation. Harvey was a big, strong, gruff man who could have probably wrestled one of those buffalo to the ground bare handed. The day we left, he and his wife drove us to the airport. On our journey to Salt Lake City, Harvey told us some about life on the ranch and lots about his Mormon friends. He made a statement that will go down as one of the saddest, and most hilarious in history. While trying to explain to a friend why he wouldn't read the Book of Mormon, he came up with the best excuse he could think of. He told his friend, and I quote, "I've got a da-- book written by Almighty God and I don't read it, why in the hell would I want to read yours." I laughed for miles, but finally had to quit because Harvey refused to stop and let me use the restroom, and I was nigh unto wetting myself.
posted by Christie
Home