Tuesday, October 18, 2005

a different twist

I had a professor in college who considered any and all Scripture open to his own rather interesting and often strange analysis. He regularly presented some of the most bizarre ideas, not necessarily as absolute truth, just as a viable option for interpreting a certain text. Although I didn't always agree with him, I did always admire the passion with which he taught and the thought that he put into his work.

One Scripture that he described in a different light than I'd ever heard before was 2 Samuel 6:21-22. Of course, that's the story about King David bringing the Ark of the Covenant into Jerusalem and his wife Michal, despising him for dancing, rather scantily clad, before the Lord. My professor interpreted David's worship as sincere, yet understood his words, "I will become even more undignified than this..." to have a double meaning and serve as a foreshadowing of the sin he would one day commit with Bathsheba.

Although I don't necessarily accept his interpretation as my own, I've always considered his idea to be rather thought provoking. And, naturally, I've never been able to sing "Undignified" quite the same way again. He kind of ruined it for me.
posted by Christie
Home