Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Being the good Southern Baptist that I am, I feel compelled to include a short entry to remind everyone that Sunday begins the Week of Prayer for International Missions and the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering. Though I don't necessarily agree with everything that takes place in the Convention, I am happy to encourage everyone to support this endeavor as 100% of the offering goes directly to missionaries overseas.

In recent weeks, I've been feeling some level of conviction over the lavish lifestyle that I seem to live - everything in excess. Too many clothes, too much food, too many bills, etc, etc. I have been somewhat surprised by my own propensity toward living such a shallow, selfish, self-centered existence yet I remain a little unsure of how to correct my erroneous ways.

Offering a little advice, I came across Paul's encouragement from 2 Corinthians 8, yesterday:
Last year you were the first not only to give but also to have the desire to do so. Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have. Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality...

I pray that as the Christmas season approaches God will use us so that out of our plenty others will find what they need.
posted by Rick
Home