Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Barring death by freezing, our church is hosting its first live nativity later this week. I've never been a part of this type of event before, yet even with my unfamiliarity, I have a feeling that ours is going to be the queen mother. The set being constructed could, at first glance, be mistaken for a new subdivision. The idea has even been tossed around to rent out the buildings after the production to boost income. Or not. We just hope the wild animals we'll have housed in the middle of town don't escape. That could be dangerous. Camels can wreak serious havoc in metropolitan areas like ours. Rescuing them would probably be the job of, might you say, a peasant girl. Yep, that's what I was cast as. And it's not very glamorous. I didn't even make it as one of the wise men's concubines. However, after receiving my costume, I felt it necessary to make a trip to the store in hopes of accessorizing my outfit with a few fabrics that at least matched and weren't quite so boring. Yet, I'm still going to be seriously lacking in the fashion department. Didn't Bethlehem have a mall? I'll be a complete fapaux. Oh, well. I am wearing a ski hat underneath my head covering, so despite the clothing, I might have had a hard time pulling off any look except cosmetically challenged in the first place. It's a losing battle. So, rain or shine, sleet or snow, camels or none, even though I'll be helplessly peasant-like, the show must go on.
posted by Christie
Home