Friday, December 09, 2005

Derek Webb's new CD, Mockingbird will hit stores on December 26. And from what I've heard, the album packs some extremely provocative thoughts about sensitive issues such as social justice, war, poverty and politics. Not one to dish out easy answers, Derek tackles deep, probing life issues. As is the case with his previous albums, Derek is definitely trying to convey a message. And that message may be one that doesn't fall particularly softly on Evangelical ears. In his song "A King and a Kingdom" he says:

"There are two great lies that I've heard: 'The day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die,' and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class Republican and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him"

"My first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man, my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood, it's to a King and a Kingdom"

Much like other work Derek has done, everyone may not necessarily agree with his lyrics, but he forces healthy thought and consideration of often controversial and overlooked ideas. And although many would argue that Derek doesn't always make the best music, the fact is undeniable that he definitely makes a statement. Mockingbird will most assuredly be on my day after Christmas list. You can pre-order here.

"There's only one bird that doesn't have its' own song. That's the mockingbird. I don't want to have my own song. I want to mimic the songs of Christ. I want to speak only where He speaks and be silent where He is silent." -Derek Webb

posted by Christie
Home