Thursday, January 05, 2006

I don't really like to take medicine. Once, I went to the doctor for a fairly insignificant rash that was on my face - and he prescribed a topical lotion that warned of side affects including death. I decided I would take my chances with the red itchy patch and forego the above medication. Of course, I take antibiotics when needed - but unless a prescription is necessary or a sickness is overwhelming, I usually just tough it out.

This week, I once again found myself disregarding the doctors orders. I scheduled an appointment due to a fever, congestion, cough, etc. As expected, the doctor discovered that I had a sinus infection and a nasty case of bronchitis. However, he also noticed an ulcer in my mouth. Although I considered it to be pretty harmless, he decided he would be helpful and along with an antibiotic, give me a prescription for Valtrex. Yes, I said Valtrex. You've seen the commercials, you know what it's for. But the doctor said it works for my sort of ulcers as well. Okay, first of all, I'm not taking medicine for an ulcer that isn't particularly even bothering me, and secondly, as small as our town is, I'm not going to Wal-Mart to get that prescription filled. Although it might not be listed as a side affect on the actual medication, death could very easily be a possibility.
posted by Christie
Home