Friday, January 06, 2006

One evening, at our previous church, our minister of music held an old fashioned "favorite hymn" night. At my beckoning, Rick raised his hand and requested my favorite hymn, "Come Thou Fount." After we finished singing, our pastor stood and gave a short dissertation about the fact that we often sing hymns without really understanding the meaning behind the words. He then began speaking about the phrase, "here I raise my Ebenezer," from the second verse of "Come Thou Fount." However, he decided that since Rick was the one who had requested the tune in the first place, he would let him explain its meaning to the crowd. Upon being asked, Rick looked up nervously and without even thinking blurted out, "It was actually Christie's favorite." Thankfully, I'd done my research, and after shooting Rick an evil glance, explained the meaning behind the phrase as it's given in 1 Samuel 7:12. Rick breathed a sign of relief and thanked me for rescuing him from his lack of knowledge concerning 1700s hymnody. I smiled and reassured him that it was no problem.
posted by Christie
Home